INT. CODE: BMV00071
The luxurious 502 was presented at the 1954 Geneva Motor Show as the top version of the BMW range.
The newcomer to the BMW house therefore came with an imposing car body, but with enveloping and rounded features and its rather refined style for the time, earned it the nickname of Barockengel "Baroque angel".
Engine with refined architecture and cutting-edge technical solutions for that period, it was in fact the first V8 produced in Germany after the end of the Second World War, but also the first 2.5-litre V8 in the world made entirely of aluminum alloy and these two records still bring this engine to the attention of many automobile historians today.
The structure adopted for the 502 was that of the separate chassis type with sheet metal body, both in steel.
In 1955 the engine capacity was increased to 3.2 litres, which allowed the imposing German sedan to develop 120hp and reach 170 km/h.
Production of the 502 3.2 therefore lasted until March 1964, when it definitively left the price list, with 2,517 units produced in the various versions with 3.2-litre engines.